Distance tasks

 Hometask for 30.10

New Inside Out Intermediate – page 28, ex. 5, 6, 7


5. Underline the correct form of the verbs.

Last year a group of friends (1) invited / were

inviting me to go skiing with them. They (2) were /

were being very experienced skiers, but I wasn't so

I (3) had to / was having to go to boring ski school

every day, while the others (4) had / were having a

good time up in the mountains. One day, after my ski

lesson, I (5) decided / was deciding to meet them at

the top of the mountain. While I (6) went / was going

up in the ski lift I (7) started / was starting to feel

really nervous, but it was too late. I was at the top

of the mountain, and there was only one way to

get down!

The sun (8) shone / was shining, and everyone

(9) talked and laughed / was talking and laughing

as we started to ski down. Suddenly, one of my

friends (10) shouted / was shouting, 'Look out!',

because I (11) went / was going towards a group of

trees. I (12) tried / was trying to stop, but I couldn't

and when I (13) fell / was falling down into the snow,

one of my skis (14) came / was coming off and

(15) hit / was hitting me on the head. I (16) spent /

was spending the rest of the week in hospital. Great!


6. Complete the sentences with the words in the box

and the correct form of the adjectives.

a) I'm 1.60 metres tall. Di is 1.80 metres. She's (tall)

much taller than me.

b) Russia is (big) the biggest country in the world.

c) I don't like my new bike. It's (good) not as good as

my old one.

d) Skydiving is (exciting) by far the most exciting thing I've ever done.

e) This book is (easy) slightly easier than the last one ...

but not much.

f) What is the (popular) most popular sport in the world?


7. Spot the mistake! Cross out the incorrect sentence.

1. a) Did you go shopping yesterday?

b) Have you been shopping yesterday?

2. a) Who does like chocolate?

b) Who likes chocolate?

3. a) They met while they taught together in Spain.

b) They met while they were teaching together in Spain.

4. a) He is by far the most intelligent boy in the class.

b) He is by far the more intelligent boy in the class.

5. a) Why are you hating football so much?

b) Why do you hate football so much?

6. a) I've known Olivia for two years.

b) I've been knowing Olivia for two years.

Комментарии